Self-motivated and dedicated team player who provides five years of communication experience, website and social media administration, and project management from varied fields. Fast learner with ideal problem-solving skills, ability to lead multiple efforts and adapt to changing business needs.
I’m a creative thinker and problem solver with strong work ethic. I strive to provide excellent service to clients, co-workers and employers by treating people the way I wish to be treated. For the LinkedIn version, click away.
Communication Specialist, McLean County Health Department
Bloomington, Illinois – November 2011 to October 2014
– Developed trusting relationships with managers and staff to ensure an understanding of key department functions
– Managed website by producing high-quality content, maintaining website functionality, tracking website analytics and broadening online presence
– Created engaging content and tracked interactions for Social Media channels, including Facebook and Twitter, to expand online community reach
– Prepared communication plans, annual reports and concise marketing messages for promotional materials
– Coordinated marketing campaigns using varied media outlets and managed vendor contracts to improve business results
– Provided press releases, talking points and guidance to managers for media relations
– Trained fellow staff members and managers to access website-specific tools and navigate online resources, such as national databases and social media
– Distilled complex topics with appropriate subject-matter experts for public and media messages
– Represented the health department as spokesperson during media interviews as needed
– Established professional relationships with advertisers, vendors, media and external agencies on behalf of the department
– Built creative partnership with graphic designers to deliver department goals
Education/ Lifestyle Reporter, Ottawa Delivered Newspaper
Ottawa, Illinois – August 2009 to November 2011
– Met deadlines to produce at least one story per day for the daily news website
– Researched and wrote in-depth cover stories for the weekly print edition of at least 1,500 words every three weeks
– Provided visual aids to accompany stories by taking photos, creating graphs, and producing videos
– Proof-read and edited colleagues’ work for conciseness and grammar accuracy
– Advised designers and advertising staff to reach marketing goals
– Coordinated website and social media maintenance with colleagues
Northwestern State University, Bachelor of Arts in Journalism
Natchitoches, Louisiana – August 2005 to May 2009
– News Editorial Concentration and Art Minor; 3.76 cumulative GPA
– “The Current Sauce” NSU Newspaper Editor-in-Chief: May 2007 to April 2008
– “Potpourri” NSU Yearbook Associate Editor: May 2008 to March 2009
AP Style, Urchin, Social Media, Hootsuite, multiple web content management systems, basic HTML knowledge, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop and InDesign
Social Media Marketing Certification
HootSuite Media Inc.
Illinois Emergency Management Agency
Advanced Public Information Officer: Health and Hospital Emergencies
FEMA- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Incident Command System- IS 100, 200, 242, 250, 300,700, 702
FEMA- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
January 2012- August 2014
2013 Alice J. Olsson Memorial Employee of the Year
McLean County Health Department
Volunteer and Special Interests
Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant – June 2013 to Present
As an Independent Beauty Consultant, I teach skin care and makeup artistry through the use of Mary Kay Cosmetics. I provide excellent customer service and help my clients find their own standard of beauty.
United Way of McLean County – October 2013
As campaign chairman for the McLean County Health Department, I announced the United Way Campaign kick-off as the “Guess What Campaign It Is?” Camel, coordinated an employee chili cook-off, hosted a jean day and produced an email marketing campaign that raised $3,377 for the United Way of McLean County.
United Way of McLean County – October 2012
As campaign chairman for the McLean County Health Department, I hosted a United Way Campaign kick-off one-woman parade, coordinated an employee chili cook-off and produced an email marketing campaign that raised $3,124.40 for the United Way of McLean County.
“Bids for Kids” Donation Committee – September 2011
I served on the donation committee for the Youth Service Bureau of Illinois Valley’s “Bids for Kids” fundraising event.
United Way of Eastern LaSalle County – August 2010
I scheduled participants and coordinated a dunk booth for Ottawa Delivered that raised more than $800 for United Way of Eastern LaSalle County.
References available upon request.